Friday, April 11, 2008

Bad Apples

The idiom, “one bad apple spoils the whole barrel” brings us to the discussion for today. While I do not intend to discuss apples per say, I want to bring out the idea itself in a more general manner. The concept of the idiom is that it only takes one rotten apple to spoil the entire barrel. Well isn't the case in most groups of people we know. Today, I want your help, one person at a time, to change this. Often times, we see one bad attitude in a group pull the morale of the entire organization down. So, here is food for thought. (Pun intended!)

When we gather into groups, be it at work, homes or societal groups, we usually feel obligated to fill the silence with discussions of mundane topics. Usually this conversation in led by one or maybe two people that direct the content of the discussions. How often do find yourself slightly uncomfortable with the direction the conversation is going? If the answer is not very often, you can stop reading here. You may not like what I am about to elucidate. However, if you find yourself having an uneasy feeling in the pit of your stomach, this is for you. Maybe the conversation, starts to flirt with areas in which you nervously laugh at attempts at humor. Usually, the conversation turns slightly at first, then if no one objects it can plunge. I find that the narrator, feels his/her way through this. They seem to naturally talk about others that are not like them. Whether it be based on gender, race, religion or any other difference they can find. They usually look around the group to make sure no member is of the category they are about to attack. Then they slip in a small attempt at humor that is derogatory towards others that may be different. For instance, they may make a antisemitism joke if no Jews are present. Then if they get a positive response they go further. Who among us can't laugh at a good joke? Even though I have been guilty of laughing or just letting it pass, I ask you to join me in a different approach. Because ..., well if I have to explain, revert to instructions above. If we/I continue to slip into the “let it slide” mentality, change will be slow. Has God not made us all equal in His eyes? Not to wonder off onto a religious soapbox, but if you would be uncomfortable discussing the topic in front of your mother, wife, children or friend that is in the topic group, why take part in the degradation. I believe and started to practice this advise. Either slip away from the group, or more bravely, say something! Will it make you popular or will it be easy? No, Absolutely not!! But it is the right thing to do. Together we can effect change.

Well, I am out of time for today, but I beseech you to join me in making a small difference everyday. If you have children, teach them now that it is not okay to be prejudice. Be the good apple. Don't let the bad apple spoil who you are. Take a stand for what is right, in your own little way. You don't have to use my approach, just find one and stick to it.

If you like what you have read here, make a comment of support by clicking on “Comments” just below. If you don't like what you have read, who cares? However, positive criticism will be taken into account. Keep on trying with me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The older I get the more refreshing it gets to be reminded about what is really right in life.
THANK YOU FRIEND!

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud that you have said this. So often we forget what is right or are afraid to say it aloud. I think EVERYONE needs to be reminded of that. Thank You!

Activism Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Custom Search
Nature Blog Network