Thursday, April 10, 2008

Courage

Wikapedia say, "Courage is the ability to confront fear, pain, change, uncertainty or intimidation, 'Physical courage' is courage in the face of physical pain, hardship, or threat of death." I see it this way. Courage is not the absence of fear, but the forward motion in spite of fear. A great friend of mine put it more simply, "It is okay to be scared! Just do it scared." Keshavan Nair once said, "With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate, and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity."

Often times, we sit idly by waiting for someone else to step forward in dire situations and do what needs to be done. Those who do step forward from the crowd are courageous. We often call them "Hero" or "Heroin." What I have found is that they see themselves as just doing what needed to be done. Show me a Soldier, Police Officer or Firefighter that has no fear, and I'll show you one that will soon die, yet daily they wage war for the security of our Nations, against crime or even fire. They see it as doing their job, yet are they not heroes, every day.

Recently, I was at a gathering of my peers. During the gathering, I saw many examples of raw unadulterated courage. You say, "Where were you? Iraq, Afghanistan, Korea?" No, while those soldiers have great courage, I was in a small conference room tucked back in the woods, in the middle of nowhere. The courage I saw was moral courage to face their demons. Some are fighting for their life, some fight for their sanity, and some simply fight for what is right in the face of insurmountable odds. We laughed together, talked together and cried together. Yes, real men and women cry. One said, "The dying is not the hard part! It's the living I have trouble with." The specifics of that story I can't share with you, but I'll say that it changed my outlook on life. But isn't that the case with most people. We are all appointed to die, but it is what we do in life that matters.

Join me in the fight for those less fortunate than us. Be terrified! But do it anyway. Step forward from the crowd, be heard, and do it like your life depends upon it. For someday, it might. Today take that first small shaky step. Tell someone about what you have read and add this to your favorites. Please make comments for this is a work in progress.

2 comments:

Tater said...

AMEN!!

clearsight said...

I believe this is attributed to Winston Chruchill. "Sometimes it is not enough to do what is right, one must do what needs to be done." I like this quote because it carries in it the seeds of courage. Doing the right thing is not always easy, but doing what must be done is even less so.

Activism Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Custom Search
Nature Blog Network