Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Friendship

Henri Nouwen said, “When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares.” We can only hope that those who know us say we are that person.

I have been fortunate over the years to find such friends. I had to look really hard to find a few of people that fit the bill. My wife is one of these. I know, not think, know that she will be there when others would shy away. Someone mentioned the other day that I had had several close calls lately. They were not being critical or derogative, just observant. As you know, I am a Police Officer and face death more than most, whether it be mine or the death of others. Yet they understood me enough to know that maybe these incidents were changing who I am. I’m sure most of the people around me know that these incidents were extremely tough to endure. This friend gently mentioned it and made it clear that they were available to me but did not push. Often times this is what friendship is about. Just being there and make sure you friend knows it. Through these tragedies, I have found new friends that helped me see that there is still good in the world. As cliché as that might sound, is there anyone around you that might need to be reminded? Maybe we can all learn from Henri, silence often speaks volumes. I challenge you to call a friend today and let them know you care.

Stay tuned. I have a great story to tell. I recently stumbled upon a large bit of history and plan to share some of it with you. I love finding stuff like this. I promise you will be stunned if you like true history.

As always, tell a friend about my blog.

2 comments:

Jables said...

Friends are my life blood if i did not have friends i do not know what i would do.

So win you said, "I have been fortunate over the years to find such friends". I know what you mean.

clearsight said...

I believe Henri is correct. Our greatest friends are those that do not make a big show of it.

My wife (I know this will sound cliche, but ....) is my friend and has been for 27 years so far.

The quiet knowledge that a friend is there when needed is a very comforting feeling.

Activism Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Custom Search
Nature Blog Network