Friday, April 18, 2008

School Violence

Dorothy Lewis, professor of psychiatry at NYU School of Medicine, told a PBS Frontline documentary that pathological aggressiveness is rooted in abuse and pain. "Probably the most powerful generator of aggression in living beings is pain... Animals that have been tortured and children who have been severely and repeatedly abused often become extremely aggressive. Animals and humans being raised in the company of violent adults is associated with the development of aggressive behavior patterns." In most of the case I have studied the child murders have been victims of abuse or bullying. Often times, people would say that this is an excuse. I believe that to a point but, also understand that this is also a tool to narrow the field. Now most Urban High Schools have in excess of 1200 students and only one or two SROs assigned if any.

I bet you are wondering why I am on this subject today. Well, this week of the year has more dates of supposed significant than any other. Most major schools are on high alert during these times. Well, all of the time but now more vigilant than ever. Keep this in mind and talk with your kids about what they hear at school. Most children and young adults will tell you about it if only you ask. Be proactive with your kids. More posted later today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are correct, parents need to speak to their kids more and be willing to hear what the kids have to say and act upon that information.

Chrysalis Angel said...

I've just come upon your blog via Thin Blue Line. I like your site. It's sad that it has taken so many shootings for people to take note of the children that need intercession. I believe too, that it's necessary to step in immediately when there is any bullying noted within the school system. Anytime someone is hurt either in word or deed, it renders the targeted student incapable of learning. They instead go into survival mode, just trying to get through their day. How can they concentrate or feel safe to raise their hand if they have a question?
All children deserve to have a safe place to be and to learn. They need to feel they can tell an adult, and that the adult will take action immediately. Great post.

Greg said...

I came to your blog after you commented on my photoblog.

I also agree that something needs to be done about the amount of child abuse that is out there. I may work in corrections now, but I have to work around these abusers every shift. It is a very hard to treat them with respect when you know what they have done to children, and when you have a kid of your own.

I am glad you found my blog, and I have read through yours. You have a great blog and I will be back often!!

For The People said...

Thanks for the comments! Hey Greg! I feel for you man. I've been there and done that. Just remeber, you are different. Take the high road. If you do, you will help about one out of every one thousand you touch. Sound like bad odds? Well think about the ones you save. It will bring the most satisfied feeling you ever had.

Activism Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Custom Search
Nature Blog Network