Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Another Hero

In the last few months, I come to know yet another everyday hero. This person has developed a program that helps other cops. Not only did they have a great idea but went through the grueling state process to create and fund the program. This is only the beginning what this person has done.

He/she will be referred to as he for simplicity from this point forward. He is paid a small salary to do the things that he does but that never covers it. He is on-call twenty-four/seven and runs about 90 hours a week with no additional compensation. He is called in with a group of volunteers any time there is a "Critical Incident".

All that is great in and of itself; however his heart is what makes him a hero. He is one of the kindest, most gentle and loving people you will ever meet. How he carries all of the grief that he accumulates at these incidents I do not understand. You see, each time he helps officers, he takes away part of that grief with him. It is a physicology thing that I do not understand fully but am assured of its occurrence by people who would know.

When any recognition is given to him, he gets that Opie Taylor, "Awe Sucks" look about him. Thus I will not identify him. Just know that this person exists. Having shared this with you, I continue to find your niche and do something for your fellow humans.

As always, I encourage feedback. Maybe a few of you could share a story about yourself or someone you know like this.

7 comments:

Stacey Huston said...

Beautiful tribute! I think we all have heros in our lives and we need to acknowledge them more, if nothing else, as encouragement to our youth. thanks for being "for the people"

300 said...

I know who it is and you are correct what a true hero "he" is

willow said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog. My father was a police chief for many years. Nice post.

michele said...

I have only met the person you're writing about once, and it was NOT under the best of circumstances! He was calm, reassuring, and inspired confidence. I know he won't admit you're talking a/b him, but he will appreciate your kindness and acknowledgement, anyway!

I have a hero, myself. There are too many stories to tell a/b him, but needless to say, he's saved my life on more than one occassion...literally AND figuratively. Although he's not perfect...he's perfect for ME. I wake up everyday thanking God for how lucky I am to have him in my life, and I sleep better at night knowing he's protecting me and those around me. He isn't appreciated enough, by any means, by those he serves, but those that love him can't tell him ENOUGH how much THEY appreciate him. He is the strongest, kindest, most decent man I've ever met in my life, and he doesn't even know it. He has issues with doing a job he knows he MUST do sometimes, and is so much harder on himself than he would be on someone else in his shoes. He is tough, fair-minded, honest, sensitive, caring, intelligent (even though he can't spell worth a hoot--lol!), and a wonderful husband and father.

I just want him to know how proud I am of him, and the work he does every day, even in his "off-duty" hours.

I love you, with all of my heart.

michele said...

Have you checked the Thrailkill's blog lately? The most recent one is VERY encouraging! I think this family is full of "heros," too!

Greg said...

My father in law is my hero. He was a cop for 37 years and he is my only source for releasing the crap I see and deal with at work. He never makes you feel dumb for the way you feel and always, always makes you feel better.

He is a wonderful man and I am greatful that he came into my life.

Sandy said...

What a wonderful post. I like what Michele had to say.

Activism Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Custom Search
Nature Blog Network