Saturday, May 31, 2008

Confucius once said, "Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart." Often times we fail to see the likeness of those around us and see only the differences. We see a different race, religion, age, sex or even size and make a snap judgement about a person. In the US, there have been and will continue to be many litigious actions about this very discussion. In our current national election cycle we have candidate's that cover four these categories. There have been many within the media that would have made this election about those traits. Fortunately none of the candidates seem to have made this a big issue. I am not sure whether that will change but I personally hope that it is not a deciding factor in these election.

Having said that, I would like to go more with what I believe is the message that Confucius wanted us to see. Every day, we make decisions that form our lives. If the decisions are repetitious, then we tend to follow a certain pattern and in essence form habits. Some of the habits are mundane in nature and give us no pause to reflect. In others, we pause for great lenghts of time, ask our spouses, parents or those we trust to help make these decisions. When we reach one of those decisions points, I purpose that we stop and make the time to study the decision in its' entirety. Find all the options, study those options and think through all possible effects each option will have on you and those around you. Then make the decision that you can proudly own. For whether you make the right one or the wrong one you will own it! Every decision you make or habit you form has consequences. Most of these decisions have both bad and good consequences. A wise friend once told me that you can ask for and receive forgiveness for any mistake you make but, there will always still be consequences to those mistakes. Therefore, make the right decisions a habit.

In closing, I again ask what good deed have you done today? Just think, if you do two good deeds today and ask only for precipitation two fold, how many people you will effect. It reminds me of the story of a man being offered a job. The person hiring him gave him two monetary offers of compensation. The first was $5,000 a month, the second offer was a penny the first day and double it every day for thirty days. Which one would you chose? Think about and you will find that by doing what I asked above, you can directly effect millions of people by the end of June, 2008.

4 comments:

Eve said...

I like this quote FTP!
I too believe that the decisions we make in life have a profound lifelong effect. The sooner we learn to make habits of making good decisions the more rewarding our lives become. It is so important for parents to teach their children at an early age this philosophy. As far as judgment…this brings to mind another wonderful quote about judging the content of the heart not the exterior image.
Thanks for sharing and your service!

Becky said...

Thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog. This is my first visit here and I love this post. I, too, am all about encouraging all those around me.
Pass it on, is one of my mottos. I believe God put us here to take care of eachother, I try to teach that to others as I go along.
Oh, and the last post, I hear you! I recently had 284 visits to my blog and only got 2 or 3 comments. I will add you to my favorites and visit often!

The Birdlady said...

You made my day! What a lovely comment you posted for me...
And I'll try to practice random acts of kindness today, and think of you!

Catherine said...

Does my comment arrive on this post, and you think it was too much political? Or do I have make a mistake erasing it by myself?

Activism Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Custom Search
Nature Blog Network