Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Unhappily Taken

Another mother and her babies. This is a classic Ugly Duckling story except with geese. They were even some younger babies in the group that I couldn't get as clearly. I must apologize for this picture because I broke me own golden rule of photography. I disturbed the environment. When taking pictures of the wildlife, I do my very best not to disturb the subjects. In this case, I was snapping away and got too close. I did not have my tele-lense with me and got a little too in the "zone." The mother was not happy!! As you can see in this photo she ducked her head low and hissed. I immediately moved back. I had several better shots but decided to post this one to make a point. Often times us Amateurs get carried away and affect the subject of the photo. I urge you guys to not disturb the wildlife when taking pictures in the wild. Again, I apologize openly because I don't think the mother understood when I told her. So I guess my readers will have to except the apology for her.

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Stacey Huston said...

You are right.. she is NOT happy with you..(wink) but in your defense I photographed a goose sitting on eggs this spring from my car parked on the highway.. I was WAY away from her and she still gave me the evil eye and let me know under no uncertain terms that I was NOT to get out of my car and swim out into the swamp to take better photos.. *grin* not that I was going to... great photo of goose language.. so glad you understood it..

The Birdlady said...

You may have only recently gotten into photography, but you're doing it right! The wildlife should come before the images! Thank you!

Marja said...

I agree. But we might not always be aware This is a good reminder

Sandy said...

She definitely was not happy. I would recognize that "mother goose" language anywhere!

michele said...

Hee hee! And people are afraid of our dog, Taz! They've never seen what a mad mama goose can DO!

For The People said...

Good eye there beautiful. I believe you are right. I just was not sure if the color normally associated with the males develops later. Probably only one color change is all they go through. Just seemed odd to have a liter (opps flock?) that big have all females.

michele said...

Ahem. Can I correct you again? You posted this to the GEESE... not the MALLARDS! If someone didn't read both, they wouldn't know WHAT we're talking about!. . . Course, they probably don't ANYWAY half the time! lol

Love you!

Activism Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Custom Search
Nature Blog Network