Monday, June 2, 2008

Honesty

As some of you may have seen before I love this quote by my father, Felix O'neal Ivy, "Honesty is not the best policy. It is the only policy." As you can probably tell, honesty was a way of life in my family growing up.

Over the last three days, I have been surfing the web quite a bit. What I found was hundreds of different sites out there talking about the subject I was researching. Several of them convincingly proved the point they were discussing. However, all of them had a slightly to greatly different explanation about what worked and what did not. After reading hundreds of them, I left so confused that I felt like I knew more about the subject than any of them. It was clear that at least some of them were flat out liars. Thus, I left with no useful definitive information on the subject I needed.

Having said that, I revert back to the quote above. Often times, people lie just for the sake of lying. I do not understand this. They even go to the extreme of lying when the truth would serve them better. Being a cop, I see this all the time. At least, I understand the reasoning behind when a criminal lies to me. He/she is trying to conceal their guilt. With this I do not have enough knowledge about the subject at hand to know what the truth is. On the subject of honesty, I guess I am a pessimist because I always expect the truth to any question I ask. It seems that more and more all I hear is lies. Very sad state of things if you ask me. Do these people not understand that they are effecting several others with their lies. Often time human nature is to group all like people into a category. For instance, if a person of a particular country lies, you would say all people from that country are lairs. I have spoke of the recently and it is disheartening to know that they are cause harm to so many others.

With that said, you can rest assured that, if I put something on my blog, I believe it to be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. If you find something here that is not correct, tell me and I will remove it. Honesty, Honor and Loyalty are my Creed!

Remember to do your two good deeds today and only ask for reciprocation!

8 comments:

The Birdlady said...

Your dad's quote is so true. Mark Twain said it this way: "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."

Beckynsc said...

I agree with you.
Where does lying get you. Nowhere.
What's the point. Tell the truth and be yourself!

Marja said...

Great attitude. Lying is however learned at an early age not only to gain advatage and to avoid punishment but also as a social way to avoind hurting other peoples feelings.
Parenting is therefore very important to teach what is ok and what not. Extreme discipline can lead to lying and also failing to teach appropriate ways of gaining something or of relating.
The problem is not everybody was as insightful as your father so we should educate people.

Lyn said...

I think you have to have a great memory to lie. So for me it's just easier to tell the truth LOL

Willard said...

It is possible that only another law enforcement officer could completely understand what you are saying.

While I was only a part time conservation officer I did see a lot in my time and I think you have nailed it exactly as your experience corresponds with mine.

My wife blames me for being too cynical, but I think it is only being realistic. It gets to the place that under a lot of circumstances one assumes that someone is lying unless they prove otherwise.

In answer to your question in a later post-I don't think you should stop posts like this. I have noticed that on my blog that some of the more philosophical posts, etc. do not receive the comments of the ones that are more photo oriented. I think that there are still a significant amount of people that read them, but don't post a comment-at least I hope that's how it is!

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

Because I come from an abusive childhood, I was lied to all the time and I swore up and down I would never ever do that to anybody because I know what it feels like and it sucks. I will not hurt people like I was hurt and that is all there is too it. I can control what I want to do today because I'm an adult an I won't let what my parents control me because of the crap they put me through. Not everything you learn as a child sticks with you... you can change it. I have. Because my father killed my sister, I'm not going to hurt anybody... I am the nicest person you will meet. The most honest person you will meet... I will not lie. But my self esteem sucks... sigh.

kjpweb said...

Well said!
Cheers, Klaus

Christy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blogs the other day.
I could not agree with you more. Honesty is the best thing in the world. I would rather be told to truth and have it hurt me than to be lied to and be hurt worse when the truth comes out and you learn that you have been lied to.

Activism Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Custom Search
Nature Blog Network