Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Copiah County

This series of photo were taken in the Pearl River Water Valley near Georgetown, MS. Wiki gives this discription, The Pearl River is a river in the U.S. states of Mississippi and Louisiana. It forms in Winston County, Mississippi from the confluence of Nanawaya and Tallahaga Creeks. It is 790 kilometers (490 mi) long. The Yockanookany and Strong Rivers are tributaries. Northeast of Jackson, the Ross Barnett Reservoir is formed by a dam.
The Pearl passes near or through the following towns (in order):
Philadelphia, Mississippi,Pearl River, Mississippi, Carthage, Mississippi, Jackson, Mississippi, Georgetown, Mississippi, Rockport, Mississippi, Monticello, Mississippi, Columbia, Mississippi
Bogalusa, Louisiana, Picayune, Mississippi, Pearl River, Louisiana.


This shot is the Georgetown Public Boat Landing. As you can see, this weekend when I took these shots, the Pearl River is down.
These shots, above and below, are of a wood yard that sits on the banks of the Pearl.


Another large pile of logs being soaked

Now this shot is from the bank looking down a steep bank. I might add that I nearly fell in! Yeah thought you might find that amusing.
This little guy never opened his wings while on the leaves. The inside of his wings were so beautiful. I chased this sucker for 15 mintues trying to get a better shot for you guys. So sorry, but I was unsuccessful.



The last three shot at of another nearby bridge in Copiah County.



21 comments:

fishing guy said...

Michael: What a fun post, glad you took the trip down the river. It had to be a fun get away after your work problems.

Stacey Huston said...

LOL.. Great informative post, and yes I did find that quite funny, but I do have a sick sence of humor.. thanks for sharing..

Andrea said...

This is an operation like this in Bowdon, Georgia. When I go past it I am just amazed at all the logs. At the other end of the place is the fresh lumber cut and stacked neatly in bundles.

Alex said...

Although I am NOT a fan of bridges (wink), I do love the photos you took..very much. And I love the one of the steep bank, too. I love how your pictures seem to portray peacefulness.

Lady Di Tn said...

Very informative. I never knew the Pearl was that long. Sorry, I did laugh at the falling statement but see you managed to hang onto your camera for us. Most of the bridges here in TN are named and the lastest being the ones on I840 named after fallen soliders in this war. Did this one have a name? Thanks for spending the time trying to get a good shot of the pretty butterfly. I see they like Poison ivy. Peace

michele said...

Yeah, Stacy, it WOULD'VE been funny; however, WE (N & I) would've had to ride HOME w/him, soaking wet, in his truck, for another hour! Ha ha! NOT so funny! These pics were GREAT, honey! I LOVE the one of the Pearl River, that was low...and the bridge pics are incredible!

Tommy V said...

Great series of pictures. I miss these types of bridges and creeks. Reminds me of my childhood in Alabama.

juliana said...

some lovely shots of the river and its surroundings...
i usually don't post before evening (it's nearly 6.30pm here and i still have no idea what to blog about) :)

Odat said...

The butterfly is a beauty, even without his wings open!!!

Peace

Madison Richards said...

Absolutely LOVE the bridge pictures... Great stuff! How beautiful it is in your part of the country!

Marsha said...

Great shots... looks like a fun outing to me! I need to spend a day or two like this. There is so much interesting scenery in Louisiana and Mississippi. Glad you didn't fall in!

MEDITERRANEAN KIWI said...

looks like a great nature hideout - the wilder, the more untouched

raccoonlover1963 said...

Great shots. If I didn't know better, I would swear that it was the Mississinewa River here in Indiana. Including the steel bridge. Sorry my post wasn't up when you visited earlier. It's up now, and there is something there waiting for you.
Lisa

Tipper said...

Great pictures-my favorites are the wood pile and the neat bridge.

***Fotografia e Luz*** said...

If your blog very interesting this time on the river and the timber yard of a good rest of day

Becky and Gary said...

I enjoy your blog and it is so interesting to visit other areas. It's almost like being there.

Pitanga said...

Imagens incríveis. Parabéns!
Beijos doces,
Pitanga.

Strider said...

Nice post and great pictures. Thanks.

Indrani said...

... the efforts you take to amuse us! I am glad you didn't fall into it. :) Great post!

The Urban Buddha said...

Great series of photos. Specially like the last one with the bridge and the trees in the foreground - a nice capture and composition.
The day & night shots on my blog were the views of Pudong area in Shanghai. Quite surreal with all the futuristic builidings.. Have a great day!

Texas Travelers said...

Loved the bridge photos.

If the water was cool, a little dip would have been OK.

Thanks for the info, it's always nice to learn something new about other places.

Troy

Activism Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Custom Search
Nature Blog Network