Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Humming Birds

When most people think of Humming Birds, they can usually only tell you that the ares small birds with wings that move to fast to see. Well, I would like to share some additional information with my readers about the ones that indigenous to Mississippi. There are several types of humming birds that are native to Mississippi. They are Ruby-throated, Rufous, Buff-bellied, Black-chinned, White-eared, Calliope, Broad-tailed, Anna's, Allen's, Green Violet-ear. While I want go into each specific group, I wanted to share a few tips about attracting them for your viewing pleasure. These birds fly along a path and watch out for any possible food source. They are attracted to bright colors within the flowers. One of the best and most natural ways is to plant the types of flowers that will attract them. For instance, the Coral Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens), Trumpet Creeper (Campsis radicans) and the Red Buckeye (Aesculus pavia) are excellent plants that can really bring them in. These plants also make for what I call beautiful yard art. In other words, even if the birds aren't there at the particular minute you are looking, you still get the pleasure of basking in the beauty of the flowers. For a cheaper route, you can always run out and buy a feeder. However, you will have the ongoing expense of feed and the hastle of refill which can be messy! Remember, that if you this route, place it on a perch where ants are not likely to invade. If you choose to go with the traditional methods, it can be a little labor intensive at first. However, I promise you it is well the effort. Once this is completed, sit back and enjoy. I suggest that you plant these gardens in an area where you can view the comfortably. The closer to the house, the more likely you are to watch and care for your garden. I can see the activity from inside our den. When I see, I am compulsed to get up and move to the swing on our porch. I have taken many pictures sitting in the shade drink a glass of ice cold water. I hope you enjoy the pictures I have included in my post.




This cute little fellow has been hanging around for months. I am mesmerized by the flight of humming birds. This one is not as brightly color as others that hang around, but is very fascinating. I took these late in the afternoon and really enjoyed the view through my lense. Now I can review them even after these guys head south!


Posted by Picasa

36 comments:

The Birdlady said...

Aren't they just the most amazing little things? We don't seem to have as many this year - or maybe I'm just impatient- I usually see them a lot more in late summer.

Andrea said...

Humming birds amaze me. They are so little and pretty. Great post about them today.

I have family (an uncle, his wife and their daughter along with her family) that lives in Vicksburg, MS. We went there back in November 2006 for their 50th wedding anniversary. Just wondering if you live near Vicksburg.

Gary said...

Thanks for the visit - all is indeed well!!

As for these little fellows - what great shots - so beautiful.

Gary
Bodge's Bulletin.

BeachysCapeCodCupboard said...

What sweet and tiny birds! My parents have a huge "flock" of hummers at their feeders each year. So many, in fact, they fight over their perches at the feeders, and they will even buzz right past your head if you get too close to the feeder when they want to eat!

Your EG Tour Guide said...

The only hummingbirds we have hear are the ruby-throated and occasionally a wandering rufus...so I'm jealous. ;-)

They make regular passes through my gardens so I try to plant lots of things I know they'll like.

Greyscale Territory said...

I think I may have seen one humming bird in my life and that was at a bird sanctuary at healesville in Victoria, Australia. This was a most interesting post!

me ann my camera said...

I am amazed at the number of species you get in your area; how fortunate you are! We only have the Ruby- throated one in our area. Great photo and text.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Wonderful shot of the hummingbird.

fishing guy said...

Micheal: Very nice post and great shots of the hummingbirds.

Knoxville Girl said...

Great shots! When I lived in the 'burbs, I had a feeder in front and in back of my house, which were claimed by one female ruby-throat. She spent all day in a tree guarding "her" feeders.

ellen b. said...

It's so much fun to see hummingbirds and very cool to capture them in a photo. Enjoy your week in Mississippi!

Reader Wil said...

How beautiful and elegant they are! I especially love the top photo because of the clours, pink and light green. They make such a great composition!

Suzanne said...

How wonderful that you have these so close to get photos. We never get many bird species close to our home.

The Texican said...

They are very entertaining little creatures to watch. I usually put out feeders when I see them buzzing around. Later, Pappy

300 said...

great job yet again......will you two ever stop amazing me??

michele said...

To answer "andrea," we live southeast of vicksburg...about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. Used to go there a LOT, but haven't had much time lately! LOVE the battlefields! Will have to have FTP go & take some pics for y'all of the MS river bridge, & the military park!!!! WooWHO...road trip!

-FTP's wife ;>)

Brian said...

It's been a very long time since I've seen a hummingbird.

Raven said...

Hummingbirds are so magical. Nice red bird feeder too. I read somewhere that hummingbirds like red flowers. I know I spotted one on my red quince bush this Spring, so maybe it's true.

Michelle said...

It's been so hot here that I have been changing the nectar every 3 days. I just use the old 4-1 ratio. 4 cups water to one cup sugar. I hope to make my yard and make it more bird and butterfly friendly. I wish the ruby-thoats would stand still so I could photograph them....I love your photos..
Rambling Woods

Strider said...

Before we moved to our new house, my wife use to plant flowers and put up a feeder to the hummingbirds. The more "mature" plantings helped verses our new plantings now! Maybe in a couple of years! We did have trouble with wasps feeding in the "red feeder" as fall approached.

raf said...

Great post about these fascinating litte creatures! Thank you, Mississippi Nature for sharing and thanks too for your visits and comments over my way.

Pietro said...

Wonderful images! The birds are pretty in a picturesque context.
I like in particular the first photo, with the green leaves in the background.

Alan said...

Lucky catch actually snapping a shot of one just sitting still on a branch! :)

Fugazi said...

A very special bird...must be fun to take pictures of it.

BTW

Photocontest - I am participating...

PLEASE VOTE FOR MY PICTURE

It is called Himmelske farger........
(Just press on the picture and the button below it, the blue one)

https://lagring.online.no/sections/competition/view.php?id=11&sortby=votes#-

Thanx in advance:)

Ps.. it is possible to vote once a day until sunday:)

Tommy V said...

nice pictures. Its hard to catch birds in flight much less a hummingbird.

Madison Richards said...

Beautiful photos... I love hummingbirds - proof that good things come in small packages!

Madison Richards

Catherine said...

Beautiful Hummer captures! I'm still trying to get some good shot's of the ones in my yard~they are just so quick! :)

Thanks also for your visit, & comment's!

I am enjoying perusing your blog & beautiful photos!
Cat

Lady Di Tn said...

Mike
I never knew MS had so many different types of hummer. We usually put our feeder out when the aguga blooms. Our neighbor who is very versed in nature, told us if you see one hummer you need to mulitiple it by seven. We do not color our feed we make up as we hang the feeder over my red geraniums. Looking forward to the battlefield photos. Peace

Beckynsc said...

Great photos! Wish I had more time to enjoy my hummers. I will someday have a camera worthy of capturing a hummer. Until then, I'll enjoy yours!

Linda Reeder said...

We have Annas hummers in this area year round. We have tried to attract them to a feeder, but they prefer the flowers. Oh well, so do I!

Christy said...

Nice shots of the hummingbirds. I am fascinated by these little guys.

Luke said...

Nice hummingbird! very nice!

Marcel said...

There is just something era special about hummingbirds. Nice shots.

WillThink4Wine said...

Since moving to Georgia 2 1/2 years ago, I finally saw a hummingbird in my yard this week. Time to get a feeder! These are just gorgeous!

NAELA said...

Beautiful pictures with a fantastic post!
Kisses

Chrysalis Angel said...

Wow, Michael, this is a busy site. Loved those birds and the write up. I just found out that the same hummingbirds come back year after year. I also found out that they sing, I didn't know they sang.

Activism Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Custom Search
Nature Blog Network