Monday, July 14, 2008

World's Oldest Blogger Dies!

Dear Friends,

If you never go to another blog I recommend, I beg you to follow my link to this one. I only found it a little too late. The World's Oldest Known Blogger died today. Her name was Olice Riley. She made her last post from a nursing home on June 26, 2008. I thought it would be interesting to see, so when my wife told me of it, I scoured the web til I found it. I was not disappointed by the effort. I sat here reading her last post and thought of my own Grandmother, 94 and counting. I have spent many hours sitting at her feet, or lying in a twin bed next to her begging for one more story. I remember many nights as a child that she would pretend to go to sleep in the middle of a story she was telling her. I would gently shake her and ask her if she was asleep. After one particular visit, at the age of 8, I went home and matter-of-factly started packing up my clothes. When my mother entered my room and asked what I was doing, I tearfully explained that she had dad and did not need me. I was going to live with Grandmother becuase she did not have anybody!

Again, I encourage you to seek out these stories and preserve them so that we may all share in the knowledge of age! Please join me in celebrating Olive, the example we can only hope to follow!

http://worldsoldestblogger.blogspot.com/

10 comments:

smilnsigh said...

I remember reading of her, I think. Sorry to hear of her passing. But it seems she had a full life, and that's more than many can say.

I applaud your advice to others, to seek out stories from those relatives and friends who are older, but still with you.

And applaud your young self, loving the stories your Grandmother told you. 94 and counting. Wonderful! I'm about 20 years younger, but hope to gain that number too some day. If it can be in relatively good health, that is. :-)

Thank you much for visiting and commenting in my photo blog. Sorry it took me this long, to say thank you.

Thank you!

Miss Mari-Nanci
Photos-City-Mine Smilnsigh

The Birdlady said...

Oh, Michael - thank you for leading me to that...it made me smile - and cry.

raccoonlover1963 said...

That is just too cool! It sometimes seems very strange to me to see the older generation using computers. My mother is 67 and absolutely refuses to touch a computer! But then again, I never thought I would either, until I started working in a doctor's office and found out how much fun they are.
Lisa

Lady Di Tn said...

Better to find late than not at all. 108 and still fun to be around and watch and listen. Lets celebrate her life and not mourn her lost.
Love the pictures that your little girl took.
Peace be with you and yours.

michele said...

Wasn't she just a "pip!?" I can just see Granmother Sistrunk doing the same thing, if she'd been taught to use a computer! It is our generations' responsibility to preserve these stories, and make sure they don't fade awawy into part of history. What am I saying? Our elders LIVED history! Thank you so much for posting this! I wish we'd all learned about Miss Olive sooner! May she smile down on us from Heaven!

The Texican said...

Thanks Michael, I really enjoyed that. I think I'll go back and read somemore when I get a little more time. Thanks again for the tip. Pappy

Strider said...

Thanks for honoring her by giving us this post and link.

Beckynsc said...

I had heard of this also, but haven't had time to research it. Thank you for posting the link!

Indrani said...

I read about her, sad but inspiring. You have done a great thing by posting on her. Thanks for the link.

fishing guy said...

Michael: Cool link, may she rest in peace.

Activism Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Custom Search
Nature Blog Network